Are you concerned that the romance has been fizzling away in your relationship and you’ve been thinking of ways to reignite the flame? Life happens! The stresses of being a working professional, raising children, and household duties are a few reasons to leave you feeling burnt out, and in turn not much energy left at the end of the day or week towards being engaging towards your spouse.
Murphy's law tends to strike; thankfully not often,but when it does: I’ve had a busy work schedule, two toddlers in full tantrum mode, and chores that overflowed all in the same week. Weeks as such, after mommy duties, I just want to retreat to my tempurpedic mattress and drift off into sleep land.
It is a natural human reaction once you feel overwhelmed to be less than enthused towards anyone and anything else. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying, you make time for what you want to make time for … and who you want. Oh my, how true that is, and making your mate feel valued and loved should be at the top of the list of what you want to make time for.
I can’t stress enough how important it is to have a solid emotional connection with your mate. In most cases, especially for women, our emotions influence our mood. Establishing a strong emotional connection allows room for romance and intimacy, which are all-important elements to strengthen your marriage. So if time or complacency is a factor, you’re in luck, all that is needed is effort, and what’s a little effort for the person that means the most to you. Below are a few ways to rekindle your emotional connection with your spouse without breaking the bank in the process.
· Pocket Ungame Couples Version- This is a non competitive conversational game, this is a recommended activity that's not only enjoyable but it allows for you and your mate to discuss topics without strain while you’re able to reconnect discussing memories and goals.
· Conversation Starters for Husband and Wives- If you’re feeling you and your spouse need some “get real” moments , this activity will prove useful. These questions are a fun way to have conversation and laughter, the questions include a scripture or quote. It will be a good way to reinforce the sanctity of your marriage.
· Funny Dice Adult Game- You can purchase a set of dice from amazon as a fun game to play to lighten the mood. The dice activity is a good idea if you’re looking to intertwine intimacy with humor. You can even put your own spin on it with truth and dare, and if chores has been given you the blues, loser does chores. How about that for a little victory lap!
· Knock Knock Note Pads- (What I love about you) Knock Knock has a few versions of their note pads, this option is a great way to show appreciation for your spouse with kind and thoughtful words. This is a great option for guys too just in case you’re drawing a blank because it provides a few lines in the Just gotta say column: I’m kind of in love with_____, I love your advice on-_____________, I couldn’t have_______, just to name a few. There is also a column for best award for, with just about everything you can think of. Imagine starting your day with one of these slips, or ending it. Trust me, you’ll have butterflies like the first date.
· In house picnic- One night our boys were in bed, I made a spread of desserts and cheese, put a little music on and whipped out the uno cards! My husband and I were able to banter and just have lighthearted conversation. There was no tv blaring in the background, no distractions just us; in the comfort of our home and no excuses on why we couldn’t forget about the day and just enjoy each other’s company.
I could recommend taking an exotic vacation and sure it would be lots of fun to explore, but if reconnecting is what you need, you don’t have to go out of the country to do so.
After 8 years, I have learned that a healthy marriage requires intentional effort. Comparable to your job/career, you don’t just show up to work and get mailed a check. You show up, you work, and you get rewarded monetarily. Same effort applied to your marriage, you show up, you work at it, and you get rewarded with the best lasting, unconditional love. It’s common to possibly hit a stale point, but it shouldn't be common to stay there. If you’re ever feeling disconnected, don’t be afraid nor lag at spicing it up!
Relationships are so important and help build the essence of who we are. When you build and mend relationships, you are building your character as well. Colossians 3:23 "And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men."